Essential oils are great to have on hand. They can be used for a variety of purposes. Here is a list of the ones you will want to have around, and what they can be used for.
1. Lavender oil is one of the most popular essential oils. It can be used to help you sleep better, and give you fast relief when you have a sunburn.
2. Tea tree oil is great to have on hand for adding to vinegar and using the mixture to clean your home. It is antiviral, anti-fungal, antiseptic and antibiotic.
3. Chamomile oil is great for relaxation. Roman chamomile is more gentle than German chamomile, so it can be used for young babies, and is often used in homemade diaper spray solutions to soothe diaper rash.
4. Eucalyptus oil helps support respiratory health. Those suffering from asthma, bronchitis and even the common cold can benefit from diffusing this or applying it topically in diluted form.
5. Lemon oil is a great antibacterial and anti-fungal oil. If you are coming down with a cold, rub it in the palms of your hands and inhale. You can even add several drops to your load of laundry to help disinfect it.
6. Frankincense oil is great for the skin, and often used in homemade facial creams. It can be applied topically to swollen areas and used as an anti-inflammatory.
7. Peppermint oil can soothe sore muscles and relieve bad breath. It can also be sprinkled around the doors in your home to deter ants from entering.
8. Clove oil has antiseptic properties and can be used to relieve tooth pain while you are waiting for an emergency dentist appointment.
9. Grapefruit oil is a detoxifier and can be diluted and applied to cellulite-laden areas of the body to help release toxins from fat cells.
10. Ginger oil helps relieve nausea. It can also be diluted and applied to painful areas in order to experience relief.
11. Ylang ylang oil has a beautiful smell and is often used as a natural perfume. It also benefits relaxation and healthy skin.
12. Cedarwood oil can be used to clarify the skin and is a repellent for ticks, flies and gnats.
13. Citronella oil is a well-known mosquito repellent, but can also treat fevers and headaches.
14. Lemongrass oil is a common insect repellent, and can also help with digestive issues.
15. Geranium oil is great for the skin and also helps balance hormones.
16. Orange oil helps circulation and can also be used when cleaning your home, as it is not harsh and damaging to surfaces.
17. Lime oil is beneficial to diffuse when you need to stay alert. It can be added to shampoo to prevent scalp issues such as lice.
18. Rosemary oil has become the go-to oil for hair growth, by adding it to a carrier oil and applying it to the scalp.
19. Myrrh oil is great for skin health and also fights and protects against parasites when ingested.
20. Thyme oil is used for respiratory health and is antibacterial, which makes it great for use when fighting illness or cleaning the kitchen.
If you could only purchase twenty essential oils, these would be the ones you should invest in. They promote health, cleanliness and work together to cover a great variety of everyday needs. Start with a few, and build your collection as you find yourself using them more and more.
Leave a Reply.
Photos used under Creative Commons from verchmarco, Ben Taylor55, davidstewartgets, Artem Beliaikin, Ruth and Dave, Ivan Radic